Monday, July 4, 2011

"Between the wish and the thing life lies waiting"

I've spoken briefly on the blog about waiting before; the period for a woman where her and her partner are ready for the next step, but the brief interplay between planning and following through are what many refer to as the waiting game for engagement

Well ladies and gents, I'm currently waiting....and much like that quote, I have to attribute something meaningful to something that is akin to waiting in a slow elevator in a 22 floor building while Gwen Stefani's Tick Tock is playing in the background, without the fun and psychedelic Alice in Wonderland allegories to keep me entertained.

To make things short I went from this (patient, collected, stoic even)

To this
God I hate waiting, it never gets you anywhere.


And rather than assisting this period with the use of psychotropic drugs, I now have to learn the wonderful art of patience. If you've known me for a brief period you will realize quickly that patience is NOT one of my virtues. Actually in Shakespearean eloquence, its one of my tragic flaws.

Now I don't think I will end up with my patience leading me to having nearly my entire family cleared off and losing my title to a foreign invader, but it probably will make this period a lot less fun, and far more painstakingly irritating.

What I found in the rabbit hole that was the waiting board at Weddingbee was that, more and more women were becoming lost in this waiting cycle. Is it a reaction of a  more liberal society that we are becoming less and less interested in the bonds of marriage, and thus no longer see the urgency of it (for children, for social status, etc). Or is it like some authors note, a symptom of our stunted adulthood, where now the age of 20 is still seen as part of our adolescence, rather than the years of prime adulthood. In some ways the generation to wed is being pushed farther and farther in age difference towards a decade later. Once the ideal age to marry, according to the media, was 25; now its 30. With information like that, it seems less surprising that individuals are pushing towards marriage later in life.

The waiting women however, are those who get lost in those statistics- many women, now career stable, actually want the choice to get married sooner as opposed to later, both because of the desire to have children, or to have enough time under their belts as far as their marriage goes. Most of all, after 7 years of waiting or more (or less) they are wondering.....what the heck is taking so damn long?

And I don't blame them. A lot of our preconceived notions about marriage mean that men get the final say in these matters. I personally rise against that fact as much as possible- a woman should be able to talk about marriage, and even propose when desired. If anything I personally believe a proposal shouldn't be 100% a surprise, you should both be on the same page as far as marriage goes by talking about it previously in detail.

That being said, today's quote outlines something which I'm trying to keep as my waiting mantra- the wish for engagement is settled, S and I are on the same page. The action of the thing (life) will happen upon the end of my waiting, which I hope is quite soon. I'm an individual who very much likes to be on the move as far as life goes...and my impatience aids that fact immensely. For someone like me, the desire to move on in the next stage of my life is the drive that keeps me pushing myself forward. Limbo is something I just don't do well in.

So while this maybe the most annoying elevator ride of my life, I still have the knowledge that eventually I will get off at my stop and the horrid music and waiting will end. For some however, the constant limbo becomes their relationship, and in that moment I think one has to ask themselves...are they ever going to get off at their stop?

 Readers, have any of you felt in limbo during your relationships? Any of you still there somewhat?

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, as you know I was in waiting for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol indeed! Well Im hoping mine will come to an end soon (at least before I look like that picture!)

    ReplyDelete