Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Because I know in my heart, you're the only one for me"

How I love this speech

This quote epitomizes what I think a proposal should be. Its from Runaway Bride, where Maggie finally goes to Ike's place and explains all the reasons why she's been running. She says that she was always walking towards something, and that the reason why she ran away from her weddings was because she didn't know who she was, and became what her partners wanted her to be. In a lot of ways, that's something I have also struggled with in my relationships, but when I finally realized who I was and what I wanted, I found S; or I guess we found each other.
Traditionally, proposals were a form of often legal marriage promise to ensure the fidelity of the groom to marry, and to ensure that the bride was in fact virginal. 

I like to think its come a long way from that, but some still get caught up in the bling of it all.


The point is, the quote is honest, true, and tells exactly why the person proposing so desperately wants to be with the person they are proposing to. Its real to the point of being a fault, and I'm sure many people would find it to be unromantic or imperfect. Is it crazy that that's what I love about it? That two so imperfect people come together and being honest with each other still say, I want to be with you more than anything, even though I know it might be hard, or sad at times, but my love for you outweighs any fear I may have. That to me is more meaningful than anything.

It got me thinking about proposals and what they have come to mean to both men and women. To some a proposal is that one moment in a series of moments in the spotlight- you want to be surprised and dazzled, and only then will you say yes. I don't really understand this reasoning, because what giant show of affection could possibly sum up the kind of love you have with someone? In my eyes, its meant to be immeasurable, and invaluable, so no amount of pomp or flare will really capture enough for you to say yes. There's a scene in Runaway bride that also shows Maggie going over all the proposals shes ever had- every one of them was an over the top gesture, and even Ike points that out- and every one of them she ran away from. I think that says a lot about whats gets lost between the reality of something and what we are told it should be like. Its my favorite scene in the movie because the speech above is exactly what Ike would say to propose to someone.

So enough about me, here are some thoughts from some people I spoke with about proposals. What do they mean to you? What should they be, what should they not be? I think the answers will surprise you.

First person up! The one and only S, seeing how this will be very pertinent to him soon.
Question: Why Do a Proposal?:
Because it's an opportunity to show you how much I care about you and how much you mean to me! By taking you out somewhere and having an awesome day together I can do that easier.
 What a Proposal  should not be?:  
It doesn't have to be extravagant, but it definitely shouldn't be too simple!
Some soon to be married or already married women had some interesting takes on it as well:
dolphi99:
I think a perfect proposal is what works for the couple! For us, it was simple, but romantic, and he asked me in the spur of the moment when it just felt right!
Knubbsy-Wubbsy:
Perfect proposal? One that is meaningful to the two in the relationship as well as fitting to their relationship. If one or the other is introvert, especially the one on the receiving end, then the proposal should not be big and showy as that would not make the receiver comfortable. It should fit the relationship, and the individuals.
HBC:
The major thing that needs to be present in a proposal is raw and genuine emotion. Flashy proposals don't equal special proposals any more than money can buy you love.
So what say you gentle readers? What should a proposal be to you? What should it not be?
Also, how were you proposed to, and what was most meaningful about it to you?

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that quote. It really does sum up how you feel when you truly know you've found the person who you will love and who will love you forever :)

    My proposal was a little outside of the norm. We knew we wanted to be married for many years before we took that step. It was decided when my boy told me that he'd like to propose on a trip the US so that 2 of his best friends (and their wives) could share in the experience. So I said ok. I chose my ring by myself and purchased it and had it sent (for tax reasons) from NYC to California. And that night my boy's Goddaughter who is 3 came down the stairs and prsented it to me. Connect that dots, I put the ring on and we were engaged.

    I really wanted him to ask me to marry him or say something... so I asked him "what does this mean???"... and for the sake of his best friend (and their shared and dubious sense of humour) he said "it means I'm F&*^^ed".

    And that in essence is what I think a proposal should NOT be. Done for the sake of others and without any expression of why you both want to it or what it means to you. Expletives are probably not ideal either *laughs*

    But at the end of the day, the man he is and the way he treats me and the sweet things he says to me every day are what matter. Not how of when he proposed. I have told him though that when we are married, I will now be demanding that he write his own vows and that they had better be AMAZINGLY romantic, to make up for the proposal **LAUGHS**

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I think you two are the definition of unconventional and I like that, I like that a lot.

    I can relate to your unconventional proposal, because I know what ring Im getting and I helped find it and pick it out (heck I was ready to pay for half of it!). But does that decrease the love? Does that take away from the meaning of this moment for the both of us? Of course not!

    I think romance is really relative now with people. I figured that out when I started talking with S about what I wanted for a wedding, or engagement. Because Im the kind of person that thrives on simplistic and kind love, and gestures like that, so my idea of romance is that quote, completely. She hands over her running shoes and basically says "Lets ride off into the sunset together. Its going to be bumpy, but worth it. Whadda say?" I love that stuff.

    Im so glad you found someone you makes you look back and laugh, and who you love so much, that you love that imperfection about him. I think thats romantic, and Im sure he will knock those vows out of the park!

    Thank you for the lovely and thoughtful comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with S to share his thoughts and post them here :)

    Yay for you two...can't wait for your proposal story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Pink- thanks for the comment dear! Also, S is flattered he has a fan base now :) Yeah I love it when he posts too, I like having the opinion of a guy around these parts!

    I cant wait either! lol obviously Im excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that made me cry, we've been married for 13 years and this has been the toughest year for us, I never thought we'd be going through what we are now. This quote is spot on for me just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quote too! My fiance was so real and genuine with his proposal (just the two of us in his living room) that I was on the fence as to whether he was going to break up with me or propose to me! He was so serious...talking about our families, being unselfish and learning to love...

    It was nothing special by most people's standards (hell, I was in sweat pants!) but it was perfect for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Bourbon and Pearls- Thank you for the comment, and Im glad you two are working hard together to get through whatever rough patches come your way. That is amazing, 13 years! And more to come Im sure. I offer you a big *hugs*. Im glad it touched you.

    @Missmarymc- aww thank you for sharing that! I know, Im worried about that too, youd be surprised how many people I spoke to about this said they couldnt tell if he was going to propose or break up! I think its because they are often so nervous! Im glad you got your perfect proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bellanouva: thank you.
    When hubs came home last night your post stayed with me and believe it or not opened up things between us.
    Both sets of parents have been married for 60 years plus- that's our goal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Bourbon and Pearls
    That is so amazingly touching! Im so glad it reached you and touched you. Im sending you all my love and blessings dear!

    ReplyDelete