Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dear Gentle Followers and People on My Blog List, I Need Your Help

I just need a brief moment of your time to tell you a little bit about a campaign my friend is running. I really hope we can get together and give a little back today- even in a small way. If you can read the following, visit the site and spread the word, that is all that is needed. If you are interested in promoting my blog, please choose this blog post to be the one you promote today, because it could really do some great good.

Now I have posted this in my Features of the Week, but I really think it deserves a post of its own

This post today is about something which I'm sure has effected someone you know: its about the journey that is Alzheimer's and the need to increase the awareness surrounding the disease. It is our hope that by promoting this campaign others will be aware of the people who are effected, not the disease itself- about the families and all those who need help to cope with this turn in their lives.

When I first read Vanessa Parent's story about her Grandpa Jack, I couldn't be more touched. I have elderly parents, and I couldn't imagine a day knowing that they couldn't remember me, or what had happened in their lives. The fact that Vanessa had to cope with that everyday, and tell her grandfather that he had lost his wife everyday, was just heartbreaking to me. I felt compelled to do something, anything to help spread the word, and do my little part to contribute. Every little thing counts, so if all you can do is re-post the following in your Facebook, twitter, or even in your blog, that is more than enough.

I want to thank you in advance for reading this post, and even visiting the site and considering helping. It means more than the world to me, and those you could be helping.

(Campaign)

Our Story

David Kaye and Vanessa Parent are two recent graduates of the University of British Columbia aiming to produce their first short film. Teaming up with award winning Director Adam Bogoch (Avoid Confrontation, Complexity), they are putting together a production team and will be shooting at the end of the summer. David and Vanessa hope that this film will be the first of many, based on true stories, that pertain to the complexities of human relationships and the adversities that bring people together, sometimes in the most surprising ways. Their first story is about Vanessa's grandfather's struggle with Alzheimers.

Grandpa Jack
My grandpa Jack and I had always had a special relationship.  I was always his "little pal".  When I was 22 years old, my grandmother died leaving my grandpa alone with advancing Alzheimers. As my family was overseas, I moved in with him for a short time and he had no idea who I was. I had to tell him everyday that his wife had died, and every day it broke his heart. He eventually stopped asking who I was or trying to kick me out. One day, he wanted to take me out for ice cream. From our conversation I realized that our relationship had changed, at least in his eyes

Eye of the Beholder

The story follows Jack, on an afternoon outing with Sarah. As events unfold, it becomes clear that their relationship is not what it seems. We hope to tell Jack's story in a way that will both entertain and raise awareness about this devastating disease. We are currently waiting for a response from the Alzheimer's Society as we have offered our short film to them to use as a fundraising tool or PSA.  Our tale is sweet, funny, poignant and heartfelt and we want to dedicate it to all the people who are affected by this debilitating disease: To those who forget, and to those who are forgotten. 

What We Need & What You Get

The budget for the film is $9,000. We are currently in the middle of pre-production and will be casting in July. All proceeds go directly to cover the costs of production and post-production including, but not limited to, location fees, insurance, equipment rentals, catering for the cast and crew, editing and sound mastering, etc.

If we do not reach our fundraising goal, the funds collected will still be put towards the making of this film, but we will have to postpone production.

As a contributor, you may receive special thanks, production credit, executive producer credit, a copy of the finished product on DVD and production stills.

Other Ways You Can Help

You can also tell all your friends, relatives and even that strange guy you see everyday at the water cooler, but you're not quite sure what his name is, to follow us on IndieGoGo!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and a great way to spread word about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krysten! It would mean alot to just spread the word and post it wherever you can! Thats all thats needed
    :)
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete