Tuesday, June 14, 2011

“An active mind cannot exist in an inactive body.”

Truer words were never spoken

Since graduating I have come to terms with the fact that I am accustomed to living very unhealthily. In fact for the last few years I have been down right decadent with my eating and drinking habits. As such these excesses have now led me to realizing a very innate truth- if your arse doesn't get a little run around, then you are bound to wake up weighing 220 pounds one of these days.

Which is why I started looking into ways to curb my enthusiasm for every guilty pleasure you could name. In the end I happened upon Calorie Count- and it was a godsend! For someone like me, I was never really given the tools as a kid to understand that what I put into my mouth, will effect my mind and body. 

Having joined a few months ago, I have already failed once, and unlike before, I no longer am tearing myself apart with guilt over it. Now, after a month of hard work, I have lost 15 pounds, and have 71 more pounds to lose. As such you are probably wondering why I am being so frank with the numbers. Because I think its important to realize that when you look in the mirror you want someone staring back at you of whom you are proud. 

 At this point, I can honestly say that I finally can for the first time in 2 years.  I know I'm not a number on a scale, but I am someone who needs to get healthy- that's a blunt fact I need to deal with.

Its not about going to the gym everyday, and its also not about a number to reach. It has to be about something bigger than that for you to succeed at your goals. Its good to indulge, just don't make indulgence your life. Its good to go to the gym everyday, as long as you don't kill yourself over not going for two hours. You do what is healthy for your body to accomplish, and each step is one in the right direction. I did the complete opposite, and failed the first time around.

I notice the 15 pounds not only on my body, but on my mind as well. I don't think health experts stress the impact being overweight can have on your sense of self and even how your mind works, enough. I feel 15 pounds lighter not only in size, but on my peace of mind. That's 15 pounds that wont lead me to Diabetes (a family legacy) and that's 15 pounds that wont lead to a bypass at the age of 45. I'm 15 pounds less when I have a child in the future, and 15 pounds less than what I will have when I play with my kids when I'm older. In the end, it cant be just about how you look, it has to be about changing your life for the better. 

Its one of the reasons why the mantra of this blog is also "living well" because that means not only living well in heart and mind, but also in body and soul. 

Living well, is living as your most authentic and truest self everyday. If you can say that, and be healthy in mind and body, then I think you've gained something truly remarkable.

2 comments:

  1. When I graduated college and came home, it was definitely a time of lots of changes. Especially with food and lifestyle! I started eating healthier because it was a lot less convenient to have to drive to the store and buy junk food, as opposed to just running to the commons/mini mart in college. Plus I'm so busy now, and really needed to start eating foods that actually made me full and gave me energy! The exercising...I could work on! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precisely! I used to be just like that, running downstairs to the dorm mini mart to pick up really bad food (thus, why its no surprise that I put the weight on in record time). The exercise I always loved, but because I was so embarrassed about the way I looked, I never went to my co-ed gym anymore. When I came home I signed up for a women only gym, started eating right, and thus feel better in a lot of ways! Im glad we are both working hard towards our goals!
    Thanks for the comment Laura!

    ReplyDelete